14 Jul Couscous Salad
1 cup whole-wheat couscous
1 1/2 cups water (you can also use low-sodium vegetable stock)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
1/2 cup thawed, frozen petite peas
1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion
1/2 cup cucumber, finely diced
1/2 cup finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1 cup thinly sliced romaine lettuce leaves, firmly packed
2 tablespoons black chia seeds
3/4 teaspoons salt, divided
1. Boil the water (or reduced sodium vegetable stock) on the stove
2. Once the water is boiling, remove from heat, add couscous and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir to blend. Cover with a tight lid and let stand until all of the liquid is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
3. Uncover and let cool to room temperature, about 25 minutes. (If you are in a hurry, place the entire pot into an ice bath)
4. In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, garlic, lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1 tablespoon water, and pepper to taste.
5. Add 1 tablespoon of the dressing to the romaine lettuce and toss. Set aside.
6. Transfer the couscous to a large bowl and fluff with a fork. Add bell pepper, peas, green onion, cucumber, parsley, chia seeds and the remaining dressing to the couscous. Toss to coat.
7. Transfer the lettuce onto a platter or large bowl. Add the couscous mixture on top. Lightly toss.